Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses

A Court of Thorns and Roses 
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses, Book 1
Release date: May 2, 2015
Published by: Bloomsbury Children's
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Feyre has never really been able to be a child, or a young lady, growing up. She has been trying to keep them all alive through every trial as it has come crashing over them trying to crush her and her two sisters and father. She even taught herself how to hunt to keep them all alive, and when it's either her or a giant wolf while hunting down a deer in the woods one winter day she decides that even if it is a faery in disguise it's better to kill it because of what they do to her people. What she didn't expect was that a beast would show up to their home to drag her into faery country to claim retribution for the death of their innocent friend. To keep her family safe, she goes with him and begins on a journey into a world she will have to be very careful in to survive.

My thoughts: THIS WAS AMAZING!!! I don't even know where to begin with this one...except to say that this twist on the traditional Beauty and Beast story by Maas is just SO dang good. Plus, the fact that it's apparently a series (which you wouldn't know by reading this book since it finishes out nicely) which makes me SO HAPPY!

Confession time = I STILL haven't read Maas's other series even though it IS sitting on my shelf, AND I've met her to listen to her speak. She's lovely and I can't wait to read the other series. I really have no excuses for myself. So this was my first book that I read by her and WOW was I impressed! I will certainly be reading those others now.

Steaminess = WHOA!!! Off the charts! I am actually trying to decide if I'm going to buy it for our high school library or not. It's a bit detailed and VERY sexy for a YA book in my opinion which made it a fantastic read for my adult self, but a bit of a "hmmm" for my decision making process for the library purchasing end of my job. I mean, you might want a fan for yourself at times! :) LOL! 

Faery world = This was a great way to twist this traditional "fairytale". ;) I loved how the Fae Lord's had different abilities that allowed for different "changes" as well allowing for our "Beast"...but then was it really Tamlin who was the beast? Or was it Feyre? It was VERY hard to decide throughout the story on who was Beauty and who was Beast which just added the amazingness of the storytelling quality of this book. 

I don't want to ruin too much of this story for anyone who hasn't read it yet, so I'll just say that if you are at all into Fae stories, trying twisted fairytales, or fantasy survival stories then this is definitely for you! Enjoy!! It's SO yummy!! 

View all my reviews

Comments