Waiting on Wednesday #134 - Percy Jackson's Greek Gods & Falls the Shadow

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Be sure to post a link to your Waiting on Wednesday below!

This week's pre-publication "We can't wait to read it!" selections are...

Author: Rick Riordan
Illustrated by: John Rocco
Release Date: August 19, 2014
Published by: Disney-Hyperion

A publisher in New York asked me to write down what I know about the Greek Gods, and I was like, Can we do this anonymously? Because I don't need the Olympians mad at me again. But if it helps you to know your Greek Gods, and survive an encounter with them if they ever show up in your face, then I guess writing all this down will be my good deed for the week.

So begins Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, in which the son of Poseidon adds his own magic--and sarcastic asides--to the classics. He explains how the world was created, then gives readers his personal take on a who's who of ancients, from Apollo to Zeus. Percy does not hold back. "If you like horror shows, blood baths, lying, stealing, backstabbing, and cannibalism, then read on, because it definitely was a Golden Age for all that." (Summary from Goodreads)

OMG! I have to have this for my classroom bookshelf. I love Riordan's series (both of them) featuring Percy Jackson and my students do, too. This will be funny since it's Percy adding his take on the Greek gods and their histories and personalities.


Author: Stefanie Gaither
Release Date: September 16, 2014
Published by: Simon & Schuster Books for Young

When Cate Benson was a kid, her sister, Violet, died. Two hours after the funeral, Cate's family picked up Violet's replacement. Like nothing had happened. Because Cate's parents are among those who decided to give their children a sort of immortality--by cloning them at birth--which means this new Violet has the same smile. The same perfect face. Thanks to advancements in mind-uploading technology, she even has all of the same memories as the girl she replaced.

She also might have murdered the most popular girl in school.

At least, that's what the paparazzi and the anti-cloning protestors want everyone to think: that clones are violent, unpredictable monsters. Cate is used to hearing all that. She's used to defending her sister, too. But Violet has vanished, and when Cate sets out to find her, she ends up in the line of fire instead. Because Cate is getting dangerously close to secrets that will rock that foundation of everything she thought was true. (Summary from Goodreads)

Don't you want to know if she really murdered that girl or not!!?? OMG! I do! And seriously...cloning your kid! I am NOT ready for that. Saying goodbye AND hello in one week. I have GOT to read this! What about you?

What are you waiting on this week?

Comments

  1. Oh, I still need to read the Percy Jackson series! I have the first and third book (I think), but I just haven't started it yet. Though I loved the movies and was sad that they weren't making more of them.

    Thanks for stopping by My WOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read Percy Jackson...yikes. I LOVED Falls the Shadow though, finished it a few weeks ago, SO. GOOD. :)

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved the Percy Jackson series and the Heroes of Olympus series and I've read all the companion novels available. I can't wait for this one new one! Falls the Shadow look interesting too, although I'm not too keen with the title. Haha. Great picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for both of these!! I have already seen the Percy Jackson one on shelves around here, somebody must have put it out early, and it looks fantastic. Great picks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Falls the Shadow sounds so good! The cloning part reminds me a bit of The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna. I really liked that book, so I'll definitely try Falls the Shadow. Should be really good! Great picks =)

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Falls the Shadow sounds intense! So many things in play, I don't know if I could handle the suspense - it would have to be a one-sitting kind of book, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment