Review: The Revealed by Jessica Hickam

The Revealed 
Author: Jessica Hickam
Release date: June 17, 2014
Published by: SparkPress
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Received from NetGalley as an ARC for review.

If you are interested in a world that is rebuilding itself after nuclear bombs destroyed it six years ago…
If you are curious about how Lily, a girl whose father is running for president of the North American Sector, lives in this new world…
If you want to know more about just who the Revealed are and why they take 18-year-olds and why they are targeting Lily for their next taking…
Then read this book.

Overall, I enjoyed this story as a light read. It was a really quick read because while there are a lot of not so good things about this new world that are hinted at, the author chooses to keep this story more focused on Lily and her family. In the end it becomes a story focused on good versus bad; it just takes a little bit to clearly define who is good and who is bad. I enjoyed the X-men feel to the Revealed and their abilities: they control anything elemental, which covers a lot of territory. I now have the correct answer to the “What superpower would you want to have?” question. Ha!

I also liked that Lily has a desire for the forbidden, which helps lead her on her journey and includes a forbidden love: Kai. On the other hand, I did find Lily a little whiny at times, but I was able to move beyond it because I wanted to see how the adventure concluded. I do hope that if there are more books to come that the author might choose a different point of view for the next book because I’d like to hear more about Rory and really get into her head.

Final word on The Revealed: a quick adventure and the first book in what I assume is a planned series.

View all my reviews

Comments