Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me 
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Release date: November 1, 2011
Published by: HarperTeen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Juliette hasn't been touched or touched anyone in 264 days. Her touch = death. She was eagerly handed over years ago to a government run asylum for the safety of all by her parents after the unthinkable happened. She counts the seconds, the walls, the cracks...


My thoughts: AWESOME!!!! Seriously. This was an amazing thrill-ride for me from cover to cover! Holy cow! From the beginning as you dive straight into the main character's mentally and physically ravaged existence (which reminded me of V for Vendetta), and then as she's harvested by The Reestablishment to be used as a weapon of ultimate power we really begin to see what has happened to the world Tahereh Mafi has created for us to experience. The people have very little and The Reestablishment, who promised SO MANY things, has everything now at the point of MANY guns! It all really resonated with me for some reason. I just loved this world and Juliette! She is an amazing character. I don't want to tell you too much and ruin anything for you, so I'm going to make sure to leave out the coolest bits that didn't even happen until near the end. :)


Another part that really made this book for me was the writing...it was SO good! I loved the writing! The crossed out words that are thought and not thought! The words that she doesn't dare think or speak. There are SO many amazing quotes in this book that I read and then thought "I have to write this down! It's SO amazing I want to be able to have it later!" It's the longest quotelist I have so far on one book! :) I will tell you that birds are a very cool part of the story and her wanting to be able to fly away or just see a bird fly which she thinks is a myth but it gives her hope...which I just loved!


Final thoughts: If you like dystopians, adventure, psychological suspense, or kick-butt characters w/powers and without...this is for you! RUN out and get it immediately! I cannot wait for the next book, Unravel Me! Also, if you have a chance to meet Tahereh...DO IT! She is hilarious and fascinating! 


Check out this super cool swag we got from her! It's my new FAVORITE!! :D


Comments