Review: A Curious Tale of the In-Between

A Curious Tale of the In-Between 
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Series: Pram, Book 1
Release date: September 1, 2015
Published by: Bloomsbury USA
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Pram talks to ghosts. She's even friends with one. Of course that makes her a bit odd and she doesn't have many living friends. Being home-schooled by her great-aunts for years didn't help in that department sadly. Then she meets Clarence who soon becomes one of her closest friends. Clarence knows loss and is looking for answers but will Pram be able to help him?

My thoughts: This was an equally creepy and adorable story. My daughter Mallory read it after me and LOVED it!

There were so many likable characters and interesting ones too in this story. For such a short book, there was so much content! When they start on their journey to find the spirit of Clarence's mother I certainly didn't see where things were going which is great. I hate stories that are too predictable, and this one wasn't. I worried that the loss of her mother at her birth was going to make the story too depressing but it really doesn't. It instead makes for some serious drama mixed in with everything else in the story. I liked how Pram grew up with her great-aunts adding that element of being around older folks regularly. Kiddos just don't seem to get much of that now. Those experiences that our elders have had and can share with us is irreplaceable.

Final thoughts: This was a beautifully gothic story of friendship and loss that anyone age 10 and up would enjoy!
P.S. I already bought it for my middle school library! ;)

View all my reviews

Mallory's thoughts: 
I really liked this. I've read it 3 times now! :) I love books that have a twist to them. I liked how the author found a way to make Pram go into both the world of the living and the dead. I can't wait for the next book to come out! I literally jumped up and down for joy when mom told me there was going to be another one.


Comments