Top 10 Tuesday: Diverse Books/Characters...

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by the team over at Broke and the Bookish! Leave a link to your Top 10 below!

Top 10 Books with Diversity/Diverse Characters...

1. Wonder by R.J. Palacio - This is about a boy who overcomes being scared of how he thinks others will treat him, his fear of going to school, and worrying about what other will think of him.

2. Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine - This is about a girl who finds a way to make whites and blacks friends. She also learns that it doesn't matter if people bully her as long as she is strong in the way she feels about herself. 




3. Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern - Amy is a main character with cerebral palsy who has decided she wants to seek out friends who aren't adults. This is a very emotionally engaging story. 

4. One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva - I love this story about Alek who explores his reality: maybe a boyfriend is really what he wants. 

5. Skin by Donna Jo Napoli - Sep is an interesting main character because she is dealing with a skin pigment issue called vitiligo. It's a good story about learning to love who you are. 

6. Life, After by Sarah Darer Littman - This is a story about Dani who immigrates to the United States after "The Crisis" in Argentina. I learned a lot about a piece of Argentinian history that was fascinating; plus, I truly enjoyed Dani's character throughout the story.

7. The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen - Running is Jessica's life...until a car accident causes her to lose her leg. This story has a lot of spirit as Jessica comes to terms with her life as it is now and realizes all the possibilities still open to her--but it's a long journey. 



8. The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare - the MC has a deformed leg because the leg was crushed as a baby. His father refused to ever use magic again so he grew up with this handicap which has kept him from running, playing games, etc. When he falls into the Iron Trial he finds that perhaps he'll be able to do other things he's never even dreamed he could do overcoming his handicap.

9. She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick - The MC in this book is blind and goes on a mission with her little brother in tow to find their father who she's sure is in danger somehow even though no one else thinks so. She even has to get them both across an ocean to start their search. 

10. I Am Malala: the girl who stood up for education and was shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai - Holy moly did I learn a lot about how the Taliban started in her village and a lot about the contemporary history of that area which I knew NOTHING about! It was extremely eye opening, and very well written. She is an AMAZING human being. I cannot wait to see what else she is able to accomplish in this world. 


What's on your Top 10 this week?

Comments

  1. I really love Sedgwick's works and She is Not Invisible is on my TBR, glad to see you enjoyed it! I've heard lots of great things about The Running Dream, and One Man Guy looks really enjoyable!
    Great list!
    Mallory @ The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that Sedgwick's other books are good too. I really liked this one. I am very interested in The Running Dream too after this list this week. It keeps popping up. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Wonder is a great pick! I have it on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls both love it so much! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing list! I've got Wonder on my list to read. :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have She Is Not Invisible on my list this week too. I think it's a great book! I must check out some of the other books on your list! My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We share several of the same books on our lists. Must mean we have similar reading preferences. Yay! That means your other books are safe recommendations!. Watch Anne add more books to her TBR pile! Sigh.
    Anne's Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Malala sounds fascinating. Thanks for sharing it and your other recommendations.

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read Say What You Will and One Man Guy. And I didn't think of The Iron Trial or Skin - both work really well for this week! Great list!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonder Looks Awesome as does Malala. Awesome Post, Check out my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls still talk about Wonder all the time. Malala is an incredible person! I cannot wait for the documentary about her that's coming out! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. I have wanted to read WONDER for so longer!!! Maybe I finally will soon! SAY WHAT YOU WILL is on my TBR, too! I don't think SKIN is a Donna Jo Napoli book I've read, I'll have to look into it! I HAVE read SHE IS NOT INVISIBLE, but I read it RIGHT AFTER reading ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE, also with a blind protagonist, and that was such a bad idea because I compared them too much! Also, I saw on the side that Rachel is reading NONE OF THE ABOVE atm, which also counts. Great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Napoli's books always sound so good and I still haven't read one. :( I've done that before, reading a book that's very similar right after the other. Now I'm very careful about that on purpose making sure they are a different "type" in some way that won't make me compare the two so closely.

      Delete
  10. Great list. I loved Wonder and Say What You Will. The others are all on my TBR list, although I can't believe I haven't read this Marcus Sedgwick book yet. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so disappointed with myself that I haven't read ANY of these :( Quite a few of them are on my TBR though, so I must get to them ASAP. I am Malala sounds amazing, her story is SUCH an incredible inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful list!!

    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! Honored to have The Running Dream on it, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment