Review: Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

Mortal Heart 
Author: Robin LaFevers
Series: His Fair Assassin, Book 3
Release date: November 4, 2014
Published by: HMH Books for Young Readers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The last of the three friends has waited and waited to serve Death as her friends have been sent out on their missions. She has to be the next one called up, right? Nope. A younger novice is called instead of Annith. Instead she's stuck at the convent with the older sisters and the really young sisters, and worst of all very soon her fears are confirmed that the Abbess has decided that Annith is to become the next Seeress. This means she will never leave the convent and see the world. Now that that she's found out that her worst fears are to come true, she has decided to strike out on her own to see what the world holds for her...

My thoughts: THIS!! Seriously...THIS!!! Oh how I LOVE this series! I waited and waited to read this one because I just didn't want the series to ever end. :( Silly me. Who knows maybe it isn't over and there will be more adventures for the daughters of Mortain. Please? Pretty please with a cherry on top? This series is ALWAYS on my Top 10 list whenever I do one. It is just fantastic in every way.

Ok, let's chat about this one specifically...

It was a fantastic finish and I wasn't ready for what it entailed. I thought it was going to be different somehow, but boy was it good. I savored every page. Oh the secrets that are revealed in this one are unbelievable and they just keep coming over and over in this one...

Of course I'm not going to tell you any of those. Mwahaha! *insert evil laugh* Let me just say that Annith was an interesting character who I couldn't quite decide if I completely identified with since she wasn't fierce like Ismae or Sybella, but she did slowly begin to grow on me just as she slowly spread her wings in the world. She was raised in the convent from infancy, so she was much more docile to the Abbess and her demands then the others who were called to Mortain later in life. 

This book was much more fantasy then historical, although it was of course very full of the historical element which Robin elaborates on at the end of the novel as to which is fact and which is fiction. It is a beautiful story of love, friendship, self discovery, and so much more. 

Last thoughts: If you haven't tried this series yet, I'm really not sure what you're waiting for. It's filled with SO MUCH!! You have to give Grave Mercy a try if you haven't!

Check out my reviews of book 1 & 2:
Book 1: Grave Mercy
Book 2: Dark Triumph

p.s. If you EVER get the chance to see Robin speak somewhere she is in my Top 5 list of author visits I've attended and it was for this series. She was fascinating! 

View all my reviews

Comments