Review: Dove Arising by Karen Bao

Dove Arising 
Author: Karen Bao
Series: Dove Chronicles, Book 1
Release date: February 24, 2015
Published by: Viking Books for Young Readers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Phaet has lived her whole life on the Moon on Base IV, and most recently spending all of her extra time in Greenhouse 22 with her best friend. That was before the young man from Medical showed up and hauled her mother off claiming she was so sick she might contaminate others! Phaet is left with her young brother and sister to care for along with very little money. Will she be able to do continue as the highest in her class and on to her planned schooling even though her mother is sick now? But then, they receive the worst news of all...their mother isn't going to be coming home from Medical because she's being taken to Jail! What is Phaet going to do now!? And how is she going to make sure they all stay out of Shelter now?

My thoughts: This was a surprisingly fast read! I started it on Saturday and finished it on Sunday morning! That rarely gets to happen these days with 2 kids, a hubby, a job, etc.! I especially loved how I thought I was Ms. Smarty and knew all that was going to happen and then really didn't know it 100% in the end!

I also really liked how their little "family" of two families was so good at helping each other. I was really worried I was going to hate Phaet and find her awful or annoying. Instead I found her to be incredibly brave and intelligent as she gave up on her entire dream for her life that she had built and early enrolled as the youngest person into the Militia for the money to support her family on her own in her mother's absence. One thing that was rather interesting was that Phaet was extremely quiet...which works for her but not really for others unless they really like to just talk while she listens.

Here's something that was rather fun in the book - there were a bunch of bits about stars and constellations! They were everywhere in the book! So if you're a fan of that then you'll really like this one. Oh, and everyone is named after a star, or comet, or something in space! That was fascinating to learn about as well. 

Final thought: I CANNOT WAIT for book 2! Plus, I'm getting this for MMS LMC ASAP! :D

View all my reviews

Comments