Review: The Dolls by Kiki Sullivan

The Dolls 
Author: Kiki Sullivan
Series: The Dolls, Book 1
Release date: September 2, 2014
Published by: Balzer + Bray
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Eveny has been away from her childhood home of Carrefour for fourteen long years in New York. When her aunt Bea decides to pack them up and move them back to the home where Eveny's mother committed suicide things begin to get dark and dangerous...

My thoughts: This one has it all! Mystery, magic via voodoo, a secret controlling society, good v. evil, struggle of rich v. poor, love, family, intrigue, betrayal and lies! Loved it!

Apparently I'm really into New Orleans and voodoo book lately. Hmmm...I'll have to think more about that later. Anyway, I thought that this was going to be a shallow book at first with just teenage drama I wasn't going to be into...and then it took a twisted turn that I just plain enjoyed.

The mean girls were written oh so well: Peregrin Marceau, Chloe St. Pierre, and the rest of the Dolls were so creepy and plain mean spirited. Honestly they were just simply shallow and perfectly selfish! Well done.

Eveny would have been the same as them IF she had been raised inside the town as everyone else had been, but she had been taken away from it all by her aunt Bea instead and raised in New York. This meant that she was a completely (well mostly, she was still a teen girl) different person from them in that she had morals and a compass for compassion.

The best part about it all was that I had a VERY hard time figuring out who in the heck was the "bad guy or gal"! This is always key for me! I get SO frustrated when I figure out all the twists and turns before hand. Ugh!

I can't wait to find out what happens next for Eveny in book 2!

View all my reviews

Comments