Review: Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally

Breathe, Annie, Breathe 
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Release date: July 15, 2014
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Received from NetGalley as an ARC for review.

This was an emotionally powerful story. I started it and finished it in one day because I was anxious for Annie to achieve her goal and find peace for herself.

Annie is a senior in high school, and this story follows her as she works through the death of Kyle, her longterm boyfriend, and the transition from high school to college.

My heart ached for her as she went through her grieving process, facing the guilt that often goes along with death. She uses training for a marathon as a way to escape her thoughts and honor the memory of her boyfriend who was training for a marathon when he died. The only problem: Annie has hated running since elementary school.

I love Annie’s tenacity in this story, her willingness to push through and achieve something she never thought she could do. You will find yourself cheering her on, just as I did!

I also appreciate that while Jeremiah, an amazing runner and love interest, plays a role in the story--and it is a steamy, romance role--his romance plot-line doesn’t take over the main plot-line, instead it works to support and challenge Annie as she goes through her grieving process.

Overall, I enjoyed this story.I probably won’t put it on my classroom bookshelf because I teach freshmen, and I feel like there are some more mature elements to this story that would lead me to save my recommendation for my more mature or older teens.

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I actually really liked BAB. I was scared because sometimes when I read Miranda Keannally's books, I want to like them more than I actually do, but I really liked this story. I definitely think it's for more mature teens.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment