The Young Authors Give Back Tour...

Last Friday, Heidi, of YA Bibliophile, and I headed out on the open road once again to the always fantastic Naperville, IL, from our teeny little WI towns near each other to the absolutely wonderful Anderson's Bookshop in Downtown Naperville! If you've never been and you live anywhere nearby, you've got to stop by! You can always find signed books and a fabulous list of upcoming author events!
This was literally the very last spot for this two and a half week tour of The Young Authors Give Back Tour and so the ladies were very informal, laid back and just a whole lot of fun to listen to and be with for the evening. They opened by telling a bit about themselves and how they began writing; then opened it up for questions from the audience...
Excitedly waiting...

Erin Bowman - was a web designer before becoming a full-time writer.
Susan Denard - was a Marine Biologist before becoming a full-time writer.
Sarah Maas - started the Throne of Glass story as a teen, and now finally finished it and got it published as an adult.
Kat Zhang - started writing her story as a senior in high school and is now published.
I have a feeling there was a very funny or embarrassing story being shared here! :)
Some Q&A from the signing that people asked...


Q: How did you meet and come together for this? 
A: We're all part of the Publishing Crawl blog and Kat had this great idea she put out there to everyone on the blog. Erin, Susan and Sarah answered the call and the tour was created!

Q: How did you go about truly "being" a writer once you really decided to be a writer full-time?
A: Treated it like a real job. -EB
A: You can literally learn everything you need to know about publishing on the Internet and that's what I did. - SD
A: Wrote instead of listening in Math class. That's why I can't do Math now. - SM.
A: I wrote during the NaNoWriMo Challenge which really just helped me get it done. I was scare to let anyone read it and didn't let anyone read it until someone who was published already finally asked. I let them and they loved it! So sometimes just having that encouragement is all it takes! - KZ

Q: What do you do when you get stuck?
A: Talk to someone about anything at all. - SM
A: Word vomit = just write and write and write - KZ
A: Sit and write. Sometimes I think we're just lazy. Otherwise what you were going to write wasn't correct, so you need to get over it and let it go! Figure it out even if it means that the stuff you wrote before it is wrong too and needs to go. You just have to let it go and move on! - SD
A: Do something else for awhile. - EB

Q: Have you always wanted to be an author?
A: At 5 or 6 I got the whole Winnie the Pooh series, and that was it! I started writing poems all the time. - KZ
A: High School. I loved writing and lived make-believe within my head! I was that child that parents just couldn't really discipline because I loved going to my room! - SM
A: I wanted to be Marine Biologist as a child, but I also wanted to be a writer. I went to school for the Marine Biologist and did that first. Then I decided to go for it and now I'm a writer. - SD
A: My mom was a teacher and a librarian. She instilled that love of reading and writing in me from the very beginning. Of course I started out as a web designer, but my mom saved everything and I mean everything and right when I was getting published I was home and she gave me this writing I had done from when I was little all about how I was going to be a writer! I was SO precious! - EB

Q: Who is your favorite Disney villian?
A: Maleficent - SM
A: Mother Gothel - KZ
A: Gaston - EB
A: It's not Disney, but Rasputin in Anastasia - SD 



Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Denard (HarperTeen)
Taken by Erin Bowman (HarperTeen)
Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas (Bloomsbury USA)
What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang (HarperTeen)

Getting them signed...
Erin & Susan

Sarah & Kat

My signed pretties...
Reaghan and Mallory insisted they HAD to BOTH help hold the books open! ;D LOL! TOO CUTE!

To learn more about these fabulous authors, check out the Pub(lishing)Crawl Blog! It's one of my all-time favorite blogs where you can learn all about authors, books, writing and the publishing world. It's plain FANTASTIC!

Erin, Me and Susan
Learn more about Erin Bowman here...
Pinterest | Twitter | Goodreads | Website  | YOUTube

Learn more about Susan Dennard here...
Pinterest | Twitter | Goodreads | Website 

Sarah, Me and Kat

Learn more about Sarah Maas here...
Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Website 

Learn more about Kat Zhang here...
Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Website 

Have you been to any signings lately? For who? Tell me about it! Link it up!

Comments