Review: Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent


The Unnaturalists 

Author: Tiffany Trent
Release date: August 14, 2012
Published by: Simon & Schuster
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m just going to do a short review because I’m really struggling to describe this book. I loved it, but it was so confoundingly intricate that I struggle to describe it. Or, rather, I don’t think my words would do the world-building that Trent does in this novel justice.

Just a brief world detail: when you read this book you’ll be hanging out in New London which is a place where science has become a religion and magic creatures exist only to be studied at the Museum of Unnatural History.

Detail that intrigued me within the first ten pages: when Vespa Nyx (the main female lead) is about to get into some serious trouble she says, “I should probably recite Saint Darwin’s Litany of Evolution now, but the words of my patron saint escape me.” Hehe!

Characters: Loved ‘em! Vespa is a teenage girl trying to find her place in a male-dominated world, while also reconciling herself to the fact that she may be a witch (in a world that does not accept magic, that’s very dangerous indeed!) There is a dual storyline with Syrus Reed, who is a part of the Tinker clan--an outcast group that has a way with machinery and with protecting the Elementals (those creatures of magic). These two characters collide with dramatic effect throughout the story.

I highly recommend this story. Don’t be frightened away by the first few chapters because once you have a grasp on this New London world, you will not want to leave it.

View all my reviews

Comments