Review: Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier

Sapphire Blue 
Author: Kerstin Gier
Series: Ruby Red Trilogy, Book 2
Release date: October 30, 2012
Published by: Henry Holt and Co.
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After reading the second book in this series, all I can say is that Gwen and Gideon’s relationship has become even more tumultuous. This book is a little slower-paced than the first, but I think Gier needed to establish some of the intrigue details before the third book (which, from the set-up in book 2, should be action packed, like the first :)

I enjoyed the fact that the story starts right where Ruby Red left off, but I must admit it took me awhile to remember what had been going on because it’s been a year since I read Ruby Red. Gideon still seems suspicious of Gwen and her role in the Circle of Twelve; even though, she is essential to the secret time-traveling society’s prophesies. And Gwen is still the quirky high-school girl who is VERY SLOWLY adjusting to this time-traveling gene that she inherited and now must deal with.

This story includes more humor with the addition of Xemerius, the gargoyle demon, whom only Gwen can see (the ability to see beyond –like ghosts!—is the Ruby’s special talent). I giggled out loud several times, the first being the gargoyle’s reaction to catching Gwen and Gideon kissing in a church. There is also more of Lesley, Gwen’s best friend and research genius, who helps Gwen unravel more of the mysteries behind Gwen’s role in this secret society. And there is more background building and intrigue: we meet Gwen’s grandfather and hear more about the secrets that the Guardian’s keep, we see more of the creepy Baron, and we learn more about the chronograph and the time-traveling prophesies.

While this second book was a little harder for me to stick with, I’m glad I continued reading because the ending makes it worth it…now, I just have to wait for the third one *sighs*
View all my reviews

Comments