Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes 
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments, Book 2
Release date: March 25, 2008
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Clary Fray, whether she wants to or not, is settling into the world of Shadowhunters and Downworlders. Luke has taken her in and they visit her mother in the hospital regularly hoping for her to open her eyes. When someone begins to murder Downworlder children, Clary, Jace, Simon and the rest of the crew begins to suspect there is something bigger going on and that Valentine must be involved. The problem? The Clave has sent the terrifying Inquisitor and she is determined to prove that Jace is a spy among them helping his father all along. The day before Jace is put to Trail by the Inquisitor, the Soul-Sword is stolen and the City of Ashes will never be the same again. Will Clary and crew be able to stop Valentine from completing his evil plans? What about Jace? Will the Inquisitor finally listen and believe in Jace? Or are they on their own?

My thoughts: I really liked this one. I wish I could mark it as a 4.5, because that's what it would be for me since it was definitely better than the 1st book for me. There's a ton of action in this one and it also has a bit of an alternating POV which I thoroughly enjoyed. I have to say that the secondary characters really make these books for me! I love Luke, Simon, Magnus Bane, Alec, Isabelle, and Rafael. These characters bring so much to this story and there are even a few new ones to love in this 2nd book. Maia and the Seelie Queen are two great new characters who are added into the mix and while I truly hated the Inquisitor, she is a great character filled with power and rage that you hope gets what's coming to her. A great bad good guy. (get it!?)

If book 2 is better than 1, I can't wait to dive into book 3 now! Now I'm really getting excited about the movie and LOVING their casting! WOW! Between this movie and the Beautiful Creatures coming out in 2013 I am so stinking excited for movies next year!

View all my reviews

Comments