Review: Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet by Jane O'Connor

Fancy Nancy and the Mermaid Ballet 
Author: Jane O'Connor
Illustrator: Robin Preiss Glasser
Release date: February 7, 2012
Published by: HarperCollins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


When Madame Lucille announces that they will be performing a ballet called Deep-sea Dances, Fancy Nancy and Bree can't wait to be the lead mermaids! Unfortunately, they are assigned to be a tree and an oyster. After a lovely tea party where they talk about how wonderful each will be in their parts, Fancy Nancy is disappointed once again when the star mermaid gets injured and Bree is selected to take her place instead of her. As Nancy struggles with jealously and trying to overcome it, we are treated to gorgeous and glamorous outfit after outfit as usual!


My 5-year-old Reaghan's thoughts: I loved Fancy Nancy and her friend when they played mermaid and her little sister poured water on the top of the lagoon. I liked their little playhouse and loved the Fancy Nancy dresses. And I liked her friend too. It was awesome when she bowed down to the dance teacher and I loved the little peace sign on the other girl's dress. I like the girl with the braids in and the purple suit with a bow in her hair. I loved when they played tea party with the French words. I love it when she swoops and swirls everywhere. I didn't like when the girl sprained her ankle. I also didn't like it when Fancy Nancy's friend got to be the mermaid and not Fancy Nancy. That was kind of mean. I didn't like it when she shoved her costume in behind the closet! I loved the show! And I liked when they hugged at the end. That's all.


My thoughts: This was such a delightful story with Fancy Nancy which not only includes all that you would expect from Nancy but also a great life lesson too! Jealously is such a tough issue for young children and even adults to deal with. After some sound advice from her mother, Fancy Nancy pulls it off gracefully and admiringly. Plus, she does it in true Fancy Nancy style! Wait until you see her on stage in her Weeping Willow costume! WOW!
and my 5-year-old daughter, Reaghan!
View all my reviews

Comments