Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder 
Author: Marissa Meyer
Release date: January 3, 2012
Published by: Feiwel & Friends
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Linh Cinder is New Beijing's best mechanic around who can fix anything that comes across her worktable. When she takes on fixing a broken android for Prince Kai himself, she is unknowingly becoming part of royal intrigue which will not only rock her entire world but will also effect the entire Eastern Commonwealth and possibly the Earthen Union.


My thoughts: I know, only 3 stars, but here's why...I liked it, but didn't LOVE it at all really. It's a very interesting world that she's created of our planet in the future, including the Lunar world and Syfy advancements of Cyborgs. My problem with it was that I guessed the whole story before I was finished with the first couple of chapters. I hate that! It really turns me off with a book, BUT...the ending is one I was NOT READY FOR! That I did not see coming! But that was the ending! There were 200+ pages before that I basically had to trudge through unfortunately. The characters were all what I had hoped they would be, her step-mother/guardian and one of her step-sisters were hateful and evil in all the right ways. The Lunar Queen was a severely evil villain in every way! What a phenomenal character to hate! Then there were the good guys...Iko was adorable and a wonderful friend (and you broke me there a bit Meyer even though I knew it was coming), her other step-sister, Peony, was such a light in Cinder's life, and the doctor I just pain loved! He was perfect and I can't wait to see what he's up to next! ;)


The ending: WHAT A CLIFFHANGER!!!! I can't wait to get my hands on book 2, Scarlet, but will have to wait until February apparently. *pouts* P.S. These covers are AMAZING!!


Question for the crowd: what "category" would you put this one in? Syfy? Dystopian? Fantasy? I'm curious! Have you read it and what did you think?

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this story as well I too hated how predictable it was but a great read anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found it predictable! I was so nervous writing that part, but also wanting to be honest.

      Delete
  2. I'd put it in dystopian, mostly because it was a futuristic world. I guess it could also go under the sci-fi (because of the cyborgs) or retellings too.

    I really liked this one (5 stars), although I did find it a little predictable as well. Then again, it is a retelling so it's bound to be a little predictable. I really enjoyed the characters, especially Kai. :D

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment