Review: Underworld by Meg Cabot

Underworld 
Author: Meg Cabot
Release date: May 8, 2012
Published by: Point/Scholastic
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Pierce Oliviera is back in the Underworld. She has just been saved by John—right after discovering that her grandmother is a fury! The twist this time is that she isn’t dead, just trapped. But Pierce has left too much unfinished with her family, and she refuses to believe that the furies can’t be defeated, thus allowing her to return home. Though she loves John, she does not think the Underworld can ever be home. Will Pierce find a way to protect herself and the ones she loves from the furies? Will she find a way out of the Underworld, or will she decide to stay with John for eternity?


I love Meg Cabot. I’ve read many, many, many of her books:) I enjoyed the first book in this series, and this second one was okay. It was slow at first; I think there was a lot of reviewing of what happened and what we learned in Abandon. So if you haven’t read Abandon recently, the beginning of Underworld will probably be very helpful. I think this story was a little slower, too, because Cabot reveals more of the answers to all of the questions asked in the first book.
When you read Underworld the following questions are answered (with partial truths!):
Who is John Hayden, really?
How does the Underworld really work?
What are the fates or fate in general and how does it operate in the world of the story?
How does the necklace really work?
Will Pierce be stuck in the Underworld forever now?
How do you kill the furies?
What is up with the Rector family and their connection to crimes?


The action did pick up about half-way into the story and then, of course, I stayed up way to late reading again because I couldn’t abandon Pierce, John, and the gang before I found out if the life…wait, I can’t tell you that; you’ll just have to read it (hehe!). Anyway, the fact that Cabot has the characters reveal and discover bits and pieces of the answers to all those questions I listed above is what makes me crave the third book. I know some of the truth, but not all of it! Very skilled cliffhanger writing:)


I think the one other thing I struggle with in this story is that John really does kidnap Pierce, and that’s kind of creepy. I couldn’t decide if I really liked that element of the story (since Pierce realizes she does love John and wants to be with him) or if I found it kind of icky (she can’t leave without John’s help, and she has abandoned all her loved ones without a word). Maybe it’s the adult in me, but it has that Romeo & Juliet-esque creepy (in a TOO much sacrifice kind of way) love. Plus, I just really can’t stand that Pierce is literally trapped in the Underworld—no independent action allowed.


However, even with my idiosyncratic reaction to the story, I’m waiting on my tip-y-toes for the third book, so we can kick some fury butt (yes, I become a character in the story when I read:), and I can finally learn the full answers to all those questions!

View all my reviews

Comments