Review: The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

The Gathering 
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Release date: April 12, 2011
Published by: HarperTeen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Maya is just your typical teenager living in a small town. She lives on Vancouver Island in the town of Salmon Creek where a research facility was built years ago and then in turn built a the town for it's workers. She was adopted and knows nothing about her past except for the fact that she obviously has native blood and has a paw-shaped birthmark on her hip. There world has been small-town quiet until lately. A mysterious woman comes to town not long after two new kids move into a cabin in the woods, mountain lions are starting to encounter Maya on a more regular basis, her best friend's "feelings" about others has started to get seriously strong and the new guy, Rafe, makes her feel more than she wants to. Plus, there have been deaths...unexplained deaths. What is really going on in Salmon Creek? Why is Maya having these crazy, vivid dreams that only the fresh, night air can calm? What is going on with Sam and her anger? What is Rafe really up to? Who is the woman asking all the questions around town? ...and why? ...and the fires are coming...


My thoughts: This is a hard one for me to write. I absolutely LOVE Armstrong's Dark Powers Trilogy and just ate them up! It feels like I have been waiting and waiting to start this new series until there were at least 2 out (I'm terrible at waiting) and I decided with the 2nd one just out, then I could finally start this one. For some reason the book just trudged along for me. I kept trying to like it more, but it still just trudged slowly along. The weird thing is that I still really liked the characters, all of them. I also like the "idea" of it all, especially the paw print birthmark and the native lore. It's great. That's what I don't get. Why didn't I love it? I was even angry with the ending. Nothing was tied up in the end. You're left completely hanging. :( So I decided in the end that I liked it, but didn't love it. It was ok. I'm REALLY hoping that the 2nd one grabs a hold of me at the beginning and doesn't let go until the end. *fingers and toes crossed*


Final thoughts: SO much potential...I can't wait to try the next one and see if it's all I had hope this one would be.


Love the book trailers for this series...


Comments