Top 10 Tuesday #7- Theme Songs for Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish! Leave a link to your Top 10 in the comments!

Top 10 books we'd give a theme song to and why:

1. Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross -- Victorian tunes with harpsichord and strings but also some electric guitar and drums when she is kicking butt!
2. Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare* -- (Erica's suggestion) She always thinks of Kelly Clarkson's What Doesn't Kill You because of the cursed main character. 
3. Crank by Ellen Hopkins* -- (Alyssa's suggestion) Because of the main character's huge life change, she thinks of Of Mice and Men's Second and Sebring 
4. Unwind by Neal Schusterman* -- 
(Erica's suggestion) 
She see's a movie opening with Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams 
5. A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park* -- (Alyssa and Rachel (me!) :) Never Say Never by The Fray because it is about Salva who keeps moving forward.  We also thought the start of The Fray's She Is because it's about wanting to come home and being on your own, very much like the characters in the story. 
*I had the kids help with this week's 5 b/c I'm not a big music person.

Actually I tend to pick a playlist or album for an entire series that I listen to looped while I read. Here's a few of the more recent ones I can remember...
6. Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins- Riot! by Paramore. They are tough, especially Katniss, and it fits with her determination and the action she is a part of over and over.
 Plus, it has an angry edge which she needs. (and UPRISING by Muse b/c it's PERFECT!!)
7. Wicked Lovely Series by Melissa Marr- Lungs by Florence and the Machine. I actually have no idea what it is about this album but it fits the series SO perfectly. I literally listened to it over and over through all 5 books last summer! The sadness, the flow, the beats...the magic it makes you feel.
8. Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross- Escape Artist by Zoe Keating. I have no idea if this has a whole album or not. I'll have to find out because I'm in LOVE with this one thanks to Maggie Stiefvater sharing it. It's contrasts fit Finley Jayne so well with her two halfs that are so different from one another. There would also need to be a rougher cello at times which sounds closer to an electric guitar when she is kicking butt! (p.s. this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE SERIES right now! If you haven't read them, get it done!)
9. Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson- Both All We Know Is Falling and Riot by Paramore. These books needed something that both rocks and pumps it way through it all. Something that was ready to rock when necessary. These books were unreal! They broke you, informed you, horrified you and kicked butt!
10. Darkest Powers Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong- Brand New Eyes by Paramore. These just fit so well for me. The feel and the power that goes along with the characters. Great combo.

Comments

  1. Even though I love music I couldn't do this week's top 10. Whenever I sit down to write stuff like this out my mind goes blank and I can't think of any songs! Fun to see your responses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel CHEATED!! :D and had students do all but 4 of hers!

      Delete
  2. Great list, ladies!! I LOVE Florence and the Machine! I wish I could have put her on my list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally see Connor sitting on that interstate sign with that Green Day song playing. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh good one for Unwind. If that book was ever made into a movie, I think it would need a lot of edgy, angry music, but Green Day would make a good opening song for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment