Top 10 Tuesday #5- Books that broke our hearts

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish! Leave a link to your Top 10 in the comments!
Top 10 books that broke our heart a little:
  1. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls- I vividly remember reading this in middle school (it was required) and finishing it at home in my bedroom which was followed by crying (and not the good kind) that literally went on until I had no more tears left! (Ange)
  2. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Neffinegger- I became SO invested in him even though I already KNEW the ending from the movie! Still just as heartbreaking! (Rachel)
  3. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater- All I'll say about this is that I wasn't prepared for the ending and it broke me people. So job well done Maggie since she told us at a visit nearby that her goal was to make us cry! That meanie! ;) (Ange)
  4. Deadline by Chris Crutcher- Right in the beginning the main character tells you "I have cancer. I'm going to die. No, I'm not telling anyone."  It's fun and courageous but also devastating. I don't think there's anything else to say! (Rachel)
  5. Laika by Nick Abadzis- This one of the best graphic novels I've ever read and there are honestly only a few so far that are truly moving and not just fun fluff. This is one of them. Not only are the 4+ layers of plot-lines amazingly done, but the story itself is sooo well done and inevitably breaks your heart even though you know it's coming since it's based on a true story. (Ange)
  6. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher- This one starts out with a suicide which the already dead girl then explains why it's all a certain boy's fault. Sad. (Rachel)
  7. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson- I doubt there are many out there who haven't read this. It's a classic which most read in middle school and in my opinion beautifully done, but absolutely heart-breaking just as it should be. (Ange)
  8. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay- This one takes place in France during the Holocaust--It's Sarah's story as she tries to find her brother after she has been taken and sent away by the Nazis. (Rachel)
  9. Tricks by Ellen Hopkins- My girls at my high school LOVE her and BEG for the next book before it's even out in stores. This is the ONLY one I'll EVER read! It BROKE ME!! Too much sadness, darkness and helplessness. My heart ached for the world, for every person in the book, for students who I know struggle...it was just TOO much for me. I get what she's doing and completely love that students who will read nothing else will read her books. It just won't be me reading any others. (Ange)
  10. The Girls by Lori Lansens- They are joined together at the head; unlikely to live past their 30th birthday; brain aneurysm found, need I say more? (Rachel)
What's on your Top 10 this week?

Comments

  1. love your list and I'm so with you on Where the Red Fern Grows and Bridge to Teribithia. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Time Traveler’s Wife was such a tear jerker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved forever! she's such a great writer. you picked some classic tearjerkers from YA... i should reread those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sigh* Just seeing the cover for Where the Red Fern Grows makes me want to cry. Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Time traveler’s wife! So heartbreaking! I started reading 13 reasons why but I could never finish it for the fact that it was soooo sad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost but 13 reasons why on my list. I thought it was a great book. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read any of these books, but 13 Reasons Why is sitting on my bookshelf and I'd like to read The Time Traveler's Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love Time Traveler's Wife and Thirteen Reasons Why! Sad stories but so beautiful. Bridge to Terabithia did break my heart when I was a kid! Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must break down and finish Time Traveler's Wife. Apparently the ending is worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment