Waiting on Wednesday #2- The Whisper by Emma Clayton

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Be sure to post a link to your Waiting on Wednesday in the comments!

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

The Whisper
by Emma Clayton
Release Date: February 1, 2012
Publisher: The Chicken House


Listen-can you hear it? 
The explosive sequel to THE ROAR! 

Suddenly alert to the microchips implanted in their brains, the army of stolen children revolts! But the response of the tyrant Mal Gorman is swift and brutal: He quickly quells the mutiny, sweeping up the fleeing children in spiked nets like so many trapped fish and dragging them back to their training camp. 

Juiced by potent Everlife pills, the once cadaver-like Gorman has chemically reversed the aging process; his diabolical mind is now powered by the body of a teenager. But psychic twins Ellie and Mika can read his every evil thought, and they refuse to let him wage his battles. Using their mutant powers, they abduct Gorman and take him beyond The Wall, to the wildlife he so fears. Before all-out war erupts, the brother and sister are determined to reconcile humankind with nature -- and to free the captive children. (Summary from Goodreads.com)


This is the 2nd book in the series which for some reason never really peeked and I'm just not sure why! Book 1, The Roar was awesome! Rachel actually read this one 1st and hounded me about reading it! It was great! This series falls into the dystopian category but it's also a bit more once you are shown what the twins can do. This possible future is just fascinating where the poor live in the wet & darkness below the rich get to live in the tower buildings and enjoy the sunlight and the view. The government has decided to "help" the children of the poor (whether they want it or not) and they are put on a nutrition and supplement program while also being heavily encouraged to compete in a military flight arcade game. The question is...why? The 1st was very well written and their world was nicely developed. 

Can't wait...it's coming SO soon! ALSO, I found out from my Scholastic Book Fair rep this week that they will be selling a paperback exclusive of this book the moment it's out! Very cool! So stop by your local school library's book fair for a copy of this next month.

What are you waiting on this Wednesday? Link it up in the comments!

Comments

  1. I've never heard of this series but it sounds cool! Nice pick!

    My WoW: http://geekchicbooks.blogspot.com/2012/01/waiting-on-wednesday-spell-bound.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is new to me and not a book I'd typically pick for myself but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of The Roar but now it is going on the TBR list! I LOVE Science Fiction and Dystopias!

    Thanks for visiting my site! I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    Andrea (New Follower)
    The Overstuffed Bookcase

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won an ARC of this one, but I still have to get my hands of ROAR! I love the sound of them both though. Great pick, Ange :)

    Hafsah @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I've heard of Roar! It was picked as a Lone Star Book I think... Good pick!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment