Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed
Author: Josephine Angelini
Release date: May 31, 2011
Published by: HarperTeen
From: Library
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Helen Hamilton has made a science out of being as invisible as possible by hunching her shoulders, being as average as possible at everything and making her hair fall across her face to hide it.


Unfortunately, all of this is just ridiculous! No matter what she does, she is still the most beautiful girl anyone has ever seen, AND, whether she wants to admit it or not, she is VERY special!


When Lucas Delos and his family come to the island, things begin to get crazy. She can't seem to stay away from him even though all she wants to do is kill him! On top of everything, she is also having horrendous nightmares and hallucinations of horrible things which she keeps telling herself just can't be real...but are they? What if she's truly going insane? What if she does kill someone? How can she get back her "normal" life from before?


I don't know if I would have picked this one up on my own without bloggers giving amazing reviews of it online! I'm so glad I did get it for our HS library and read it almost from cover to cover yesterday! Once I got about 50 pages into it, it grabbed ahold of me and pinned me down!


I loved the Greek mythology that permeates it through and through. I love Helen, she is just a great character and so are so many of them! That's what kept me going, all of the great characters. Once the chaos begins though, there's just no stopping! Angelini's story was expertly woven to the point that at times I thought I might know what was going to happen next or what could happen next, but I never had that "ugh...I totaly know what's going to happen next" feeling ever in the book because there are just SO many twists and turns with SO many characters and history to keep up with! I can't wait to see what happens next for Helen Hamilton!


AND, if this is how Angelini is going to always write...I'm in!


View all my reviews

Comments

  1. The romance in this book is great. I know I've said before that I don't care for "hate to love" stories, but I like this one. I absolutely adore Lucas. Not only is he a cutie, but his love for Helen is tender and so sweet. It's my favorite kind of romance... it's not physical. They become best friends. Love it.

    The Greek elements in this book are really interesting. I am in love with these Greek inspired books I've been lucky enough to read lately. Again, it's Greek INSPIRED, not a direct myth retelling so don't get your panties in a twist if Ms. Angelini's artistic license of Greek myth isn't your mama's Greek myth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is on my "to read" list. I'm a huge fan of all type of mythology and I always love to read books that put a new or modern twist with a basis from mythology so this book fits in. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment