Review: The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason

The Clockwork Scarab 
Author: Colleen Gleason
Series: Stoker & Holmes, Book 1
Release date: September 17, 2013
Published by: Chronicle Books
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Evaline Stoker + Mina Holmes + a mission from "Her Royal Highness, the Princess of Wales" which is facilitated by Irene Adler = ADVENTURE! Young women are going missing, socialites, and these two are bound and determined to save them no matter the cost to themselves or to their reputations.

My thoughts: This was fun, fun, fun! A great escape from what I've been reading lately. Plus, it had STEAMPUNK elements in it as well. Woot! Woot! I'm in love with that whenever I find it. There was also time travel which was an interesting twist of events I didn't think I was going to be ok with in the plot, but I kept going and it worked out just fine.

What was most fun in my opinion was that the chapters were in alternating voices of Mina and Evaline who are very different young ladies. If you are looking for a main character to connect with, you get two chances in this story. Evaline is part of high society, but not a fan of it always hoping to avoid it somehow. Mina is a thinker and a rather reclusive inventor who is a bit confused by social interactions. I loved her awkwardness!

Final thoughts: There were just SO MANY layers in this story to unravel that I never got bored with it! The perfect middle grade book for those into mysteries! Bring on book 2! I'm SO glad I grabbed it at ALAMW15!

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you liked this! :D I just started watching Sherlock and now I am even more excited to read this book. Haha.

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I watch Elementary regularly & a staff member keeps telling me I should be watching Sherlock instead. I might have to binge on it this summer.

      Delete

Post a Comment