Review: Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood

Star Cursed 
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles, Book 2
Release date: June 18, 2013
Published by: Putnam Juvenile
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Brotherhood is after everyone it seems and the Sisterhood is coming apart at the seems. They are desperate for Cate to be the Prophesied One and to come into those powers immediately. The problem is that Cate doesn't want to be a weapon and she doesn't want to involve Finn in the schemes of the Sisterhood. Except, soon her sisters Maura and Tess join the Sisterhood and Maura will do anything to win ANYTHING. To win the war, to win over the other girls at the house, to win everything and everyone at all costs no matter what!

My thoughts: Holy moly! That's my thought! Holy moly! I'll tell you what Jessica Spotswood I was not happy! Not happy at all my dear! It took everything I had to not throw this book as far as I could and scream as loud as I could when I read the very last pages.

That being said, I usually do not like a second book as much as I liked a first book in a series for some reason. That was NOT the case in this series! I like the first book, but the second book in this series I don't think I even came up for a breath from!! Seriously! It was a one day read! I just blew through it because it was so awesome and so intense I HAD TO know what was going to happen next!

Spotswood has created these sisters that are absolutely brilliant! I don't want to spoil too much if you haven't read book 1, so I'll just say that their dynamics are amazing! Cate, Maura and Tess are perfect in every way possible from the beginning when they are whole and loving to when I leave them and they are broken and at war with each other for many different reasons. I just cannot say enough great things about the way they have been written and crafted from the beginning and throughout book 1 & 2!

The oppression that Spotswood creates and permeates throughout these books is horrifying in places. I know that it's fantasy and that it's just a book about magic, but at times I found myself thinking about our past and how horrifically and easily we've treated specific groups of people because some said we should. Usually because of ignorance and fear! :(

Final thoughts: It was SO HARD to even begin another book after finishing this one! Seriously! I was so broken! I'm just warning you...brace yourself! :( And how in the world am I going to wait for the next one? :( But oh how I cannot wait for it! I must know what is next for the Cahill sisters! Don't let me down Spotswood!


View all my reviews

Comments