Mini-review: The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B

The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B 
Author: Teresa Toten
Release date: March 10, 2015
Published by: Delacorte Books for Young Readers 
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Adam Spencer Ross is almost fifteen, and he's got his hands full confronting the problems that come with having divorced parents and new step-siblings. Add to tat this obsessive-compulsive disorder and it's just about impossible for him to imagine he meets Robyn Plummer: he is hopelessly, desperately draw to her. But is it possible to have a normal relationship when your life is anything but?(Summary from Goodreads.com)

This was a beautiful story. Adam burrowed his way into my heart, and I don't want to let him go. He is funny and a great friend and a wonderful son and brother. Even as he himself struggles to cope with his OCD which causes him to doubt himself, he is always present for those he values and loves. He wants to be the hero of the story.

As I read my heart ached, my stomach tied into knots, and my arms wanted to give him a hug. I read it late into the night because I wanted to see if Adam could get ahold of his demons and be the hero he needed to be for himself. And let me tell you, it was worth it!

Toten fills the pages with moments of joy, laughter, and pain. She hooked me from page one as she describes Adam's reaction to the girl he sees for the first time in the circle at Group: "By the time he exhaled, the boy was in love. It was like he had drowned in a wave of want."

Trust me, you want to read this book.

View all my reviews

Comments