Review: Inquisition

The Inquisition 
Author: Taran Matharu
Series: Summoner, Book 2
Release date: May 10, 2016
Published by: Feiwel & Friends/MacKids
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This time Fletcher is stuck in jail waiting to get his day in court. Will he have a future? That is seriously questionable with the people who are running things wanting him to suffer as much as possible. Then when the king announces an extremely dangerous mission which will send many of the newest graduates deep into Orc territory...while the empire watches LIVE. The winning fortune of gold motivates the young raiders on their way to glory. Will any make it out alive? Will elves, men and dwarves find peace as allies finally? Or will war spill over into the the empire at last from the Orcs and from within?

My thoughts: LOVED THIS!!! This was just as good as the first book. I always worry about this going into the next book in a series because the second book in a trilogy is typically slower leaving you struggling to get through it I find. I am VERY happy to say that this 2nd book was nothing like that! It was full of drama and adventure.

The book opens with Fletcher in Pelt's jail for his "attack" on his nemesis. Of course, WE as readers who were "there" when Fletcher first summoned Ignatius to him know that in fact they were defending themselves against a heinous attack against them from those people who he has been accused of attacking. Thank goodness he has Ignatius to keep him company throughout his imprisonment or he would have been incredibly broken by the time he gets his day in court. 

Fletcher and Ignatius are just as we remember from book 1. Their relationship still makes you smile. Matharu continued with the wonderful closeness that they created and we continue to get to see them watch each other's back in this installment. 

Fletcher's friends are just as we remember them, and extremely loyal and courageous which makes them so fantastic. They almost make me think of how Harry Potter becomes friends with elves and dwarves even though that is also not acceptable by most. Maybe that's what makes these feel so fulfilling when I read them. 

Boy are the bad guys bad in these books. They are the type of evil that the really bad bullies are born from; the kind who are bullies until the day they die. Matharu has created and continued characters who are just bad at an evil level, which makes for so much spine-tingling drama. 

Final thoughts: There are so many twists and turns that I was not expecting in this, which made for a fantastic read filled with both drama and adventure. If you haven't tried boook 1 I'm not sure what you're waiting for because these are "read it in one night/day" good! I cannot wait to get it on my own shelves AND on the library shelves! I already have kids asking me "when that 2nd one is coming"! ;)


Check out my review of Book 1:



View all my reviews

Comments

  1. The whole dangerous quest with a live audience deal, sounds very Hunger Games... not necessarily a bad thing. Enjoyed the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn think of that but you are SO right! They are just great books.

      Delete

Post a Comment