Review: Burning Midnight

Burning Midnight 
Author: Will McIntosh
Release date: February 9, 2016
Published by: Delacorte Press
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When Sully meets Hunter things really get interesting...Sully is a sphere seller and Hunter is a sphere hunter. No one knows where the spheres come from, and they literally appeared one day. If you burn a matched pair you get enhancements of some type for the rest of your life. When these 2 characters become a team and begin finding rare spheres, their entire world changes and we are taken on a journey full of adventure with them.

My thoughts: This was an interesting one. I can certainly say that I have never read a book like this one. Adventure is certainly something I'm into and so is the "Scooby gang" they end up creating while hunting...BUT the magical spheres that give you enhancements? Nope.

1st let's get the 3 rating out of the way: the biggest reason I was frustrated with this book was that McIntosh called what people do with the spheres "burning" them. That is absolutely NOT what you do with them. Burning involves fire usually (not always) but that's not what happens. You absorb them. People would literally hold a matching pair up to each temple at the same time and the spheres would lose their color because the person who did has now absorbed their power into themselves. The spheres even drain to a gray color afterwards! Throughout the entire book I had a terrible time with this. I'm sure that it's me who has the issue and many others will not, BUT why wasn't this fixed during an edit? Oh well.

The rest of the book? It was fun. It was full of adventurous journeys and hunts while also having plenty of drama from the character's crappy lives. Some of their lives, like Hunter, were much more sad then others. I don't want to give away the main drama, but I will say that now that I've read the whole book the cover makes MUCH more sense to me. I know I'm teasing, but you'll see! 

As for that big drama, I wasn't surprised in any way by it because it seems like it's foreshadowed throughout the being of the novel but it still makes for some serious, serious drama until the finish of the book! I felt like the last half or quarter of the book had me holding my breath the whole time and that I let out a big breath when I finished. That is what made it a fun and adventurous read of course! 

You'll have to try this one out and tell me what you think of it! I can't wait to hear what you think! 

View all my reviews

Comments