Review: Passenger

Passenger 
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Series: Passenger, Book 1
Release date: January 5, 2016
Published by: Disney-Hyperion
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Etta Spencer has been practicing and planning for her next performance which will lead to her debut as a violinist in the near future for so darn long. She has set aside everything else in life including friends and a boyfriend to get to these next steps. When she is suddenly and literally pushed into the past and into a ongoing war between time traveling families she is completely unprepared for the adventures she is about to go on. Then she meets Nicholas Carter and his life at sea and is thrown into another set of decisions that she never imagined before meeting him. Will they be able to get through this adventure alive and together? Or will everything they never knew they wanted be destroyed before they can have it?

My thoughts: THIS. WAS. GORGEOUS. It has taken me a while to write this because I am overwhelmed by all of the gushing thoughts in my head about this book. It makes you feel SO much! The pressure, the adventure, the nerves, the love....SO MUCH! 

I was completely sucked into Etta's world, and then Carter's as if I were right there next to them as things happened to them over and over again. The idea of time traveling is so overwhelming for me to even think about writing that I CANNOT even begin to figure out how in the world Bracken kept track of everything! WOW! Just...wow! THEN, she threw in the fact that Carter is an African American living in a time when we (America) are fighting the British (1776) - which means he's lucky he isn't a slave - which means there are SO many things that he cannot do, places he cannot go, people he cannot touch/look at/consider = BRILLIANT!! This creates SO much drama and story! I was hooked I tell you! 

Not only is Bracken's main character instantly someone you can feel for with her stress of being a brilliant violinist and all that she has had to do, and not do, to get there, BUT then she is literally pushed through a door into another time and WOW do things get fun fast! (I told you I wasn't going to be able to write this well! I warned you!) Oh, and Carter! He is such a great character that is full of so much determination and has had to claw for every tiny thing that he has gotten. I was instantly in love with him! He was adorable and a true hero in my opinion. 

There were also other secondary characters who were fantastically evil in their villainy! The head of the Ironwood family was the worst of the worst, BUT there was also the scheming cousin obsessed with climbing ladders as well as a whole group of people determined to stop them at every turn. And when I say that there was drama in the time traveling...I mean that there was DRAMA! The very idea of having your very existence or your whole ancestry line completely erased by one carefully undone bit in history is horrifying to me! How evil can you get!? 

In the end this story is so full of adventure, romance, and drama that I cannot stop gushing about it to all who come near. PLUS, there's going to be more since it is a series! AHHH!!! I might not be able to contain myself. Seriously!!! How can I wait for this!? First, I MUST make sure to get it at my libraries, and THEN I MUST get this pretty for my shelves at home because IT IS GORGEOUS in every way from outside to inside!!! 

Check out this great interview of the author with Goodreads from December...


View all my reviews

Comments