Review: Rebel Mechanics

Rebel Mechanics 
Author: Shanna Swendson
Series: Rebel Mechanics, Book 1
Release date: July 14, 2015
Published by: MacMillan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When Verity arrives in NYC looking for a governess position, she is almost immediately entangled with the rebellion by unknowingly accepting a ride on one of their inventions. She is able to arrive at her governess interview on time, but has also possibly started on a slippery slope to rebellion. Verity quickly learns that even though she has landed a job in a very wealthy & prominent family, they may have more secrets then even she does. As she is drawn deeper and deeper into the clash between the rebels and the magisters she will soon have to choose a side once and for all.

My thoughts: This was a great book, but a bit predictable. The rebellion, steampunk and girl in a love triangle were a bit "been there, read that" for me. I still loved the adventure, and historical element of NYC + British rule over USA with this storyline. The characters and struggle were nicely written in that I easily lost myself in the story as I was reading. This is always a good thing.

The characters of Verity, her two love interests and the children that she is in charge of are easy to be sucked in by. They are nicely written and you can really get behind them because of that. The steampunk inventions are rather fun, but not new to us from our history. The inventions are for the most part things that did happen in our history but haven't in theirs because of the pureblood aristocrats/magisters who have magic holding all of the power and making life very difficult for those who want to advance other means of power like steam, electric, etc. 

There are so many secrets in this book, and some unravel but not all of them. Some secrets will have to work themselves out in other books. ;) I did really like the idea that the colonies never won the war and are still under British rule. That was interesting, but didn't become to fiery which I was hoping for. Maybe it happens later in other books.

I can't wait to find out what happens next for this group of people in book 2 and the nation that's still under British rule!

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I loved this book and I have a ship, so I can't wait to see if I am right!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment