Review: Six Impossible Things

Six Impossible Things 
Series: Wildlife/Six Impossible Things, Book 1
Author: Fiona Wood
Release date: August 11, 2015
Published by: Poppy/LittleBrown
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This story begins with a tale of woe from Dan. His life has just fallen apart. Between his parent’s divorce, his father’s new status as a gay man, and his new reality of life without money (no more big house or private school), he’s floundering to find steady ground. There are a couple of things that are looking up: a cute girl named Estelle who is his new neighbor and the possibility of reinventing himself at public school. However, at the start of chapter two, Dan makes of list of six things he’d like to accomplish, only at this point in time, they all seem impossible.

I LOVED this story. I read it really quickly because I wanted to see Dan grow and change with his new life adventure. Wood’s creates a well-rounded character in Dan: he’s sweet, kind of funny, awkward, a little self-centered in the beginning, but he also has a beautiful heart that shines through the logic in many of his decisions. I love the passion he has for trying to reinvent himself when in reality his tough situation is already reshaping who he becomes by the end of the story.

Within this story, there are all kinds of lovely things: heartwarming moments, times where you feel the world crushing you down just as Dan feels, beautiful lessons with quotes you’ll want to pluck from the page and hang on your wall, and by the end, you’ll wish that Dan and his friends could pop out of the story and join the real world.

I finished this book with a huge smile on my face and that bittersweet feeling of knowing I’ve reached the last page but wishing there was more to come. I plan on picking up another of Fiona Wood’s book. This one’s going on my classroom bookshelf to be recommended to student readers! You won’t be disappointed when you pick this one up. Happy reading!
View all my reviews

Comments