Review: The One Thing

The One Thing 
Author: Marci Lyn Curtis
Release date: September 8, 2015
Published by: Disney-Hyperion
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Maggie lost her sight 6 months ago and she's still fired up about it. She still hasn't let go of hope that she's going to get her sight back and rule the soccer field again someday. Maggie even has a probation officer because of a school prank she pulled. It's at that probation officer's place that she accidentally falls and cracks her head on the floor. When she looks up there's a boy with light all around him! She can see! Sadly she can only see just around this young boy, but she'll take it. The question is HOW is this happening and what will she do now?

My thoughts: This was a decent story that not only pulls you through Maggie's story of frustration and angst, but it also shows you the world of a young boy who has Spina Bifida and is handicapped himself using crutches to get around. Of course there's also the little boy's brother, Mason Milton.

The characters in this one were nicely done with our MC being full of angst, and our secondary characters being descriptive enough to make me happy. I hate it when there isn't enough about them. The relationship that little boy, Ben, and our MC, Maggie, develop is one of mutual need even though neither one realize it at first. When her family has folded in on itself and is barely recognizable anymore, Maggie finds Ben and Mason's family to be a magnet of normalcy where she can be herself. 

I have a feeling that my high schoolers might really like this one, but I had a hard time with it. It was poor, just very average for me. It was as if there was something missing from it. I also had a hard time with the whole idea of Maggie being able to see again when she's with Ben. That was just silly for me. I have a feeling that's what was wrong with me when reading this one. 

Maggie and Mason's story was sweet, I loved her relationship with Ben, her relationship with her family seemed very real and well done, but the whole idea of her "sight" was just goofy for me. I couldn't seem to shake it off. 

Final thoughts: This was a decent read, but I had wished there was "more" somehow. 


View all my reviews

Comments