Review: The Wicked Will Rise

The Wicked Will Rise 
Author: Danielle Paige
Series: Dorothy Must Die, Book 2
Release date: March 31, 2015
Published by: HarperTeen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Amy Gumm is still on her mission to steal the Scarecrow's brain, remove the Tin Woodman's heart and take the Lion's courage. Why? So she can then kill Dorothy. Only this will free Oz and bring back the land magical land to what it once was. Now that Amy has been trained by the The Revolutionary Order of the Wicked, and she's ready to rumble! The problem? She has no idea where the Order is after their battle went terribly wrong. But now is more important to stay the course then ever because it seems not only Oz is in big trouble but Kansas as well. If only Amy could figure out who to trust...

My thoughts: This was a good sequel book. We pick right up where book 1 ended after the battle that went oh so badly. Amy was not successful, and now she has to figure out how to put her group back together again and move on. Oz still needs saving after all. Amy just needs to get wicked enough to do what she needs to do and kill Dorothy.

What I really like about this series is the growth of the MC (main character). Amy's growth is very obvious from her time leaving Kansas, to getting to Oz, to finding out more about the people in the land, to joining the Order. I love how BA she becomes by the second book from her rather bullied and squeaky self in Kansas. One thing that's also rather refreshing in this book/series is how there isn't a ton of romance. There also isn't a ton of pining for someone either. I really liked that it was much more about Amy and Ozma surviving in Oz now that they've been separated from the Order. 

Ozma = WHOA! Now that is an original concept! I wasn't expecting that twist of events at all! I'm not going to tell you what it is exactly in case you haven't read it yet, but it sure is surprising and frustrating. I do have to say though that I keep thinking Ozma is going to become whole again...just you wait! She has these moments of lucidity that really make me wonder about her. Sometimes I even wonder if she's "playing crazy."

Didn't like = That there seemed to have been action that happened that I missed out on somehow which made me wonder if she wrote those novellas so that you HAD to buy them and read them to really get the full understanding of certain things. I'm just not cool with that, and was rather frustrated. The novellas in my opinion should be a fun, fan committed option that tells stories that don't make them a necessary for full understanding in the base series. Does that make sense? Ok, I'll get off my soap-box now. 

Here's something I AM going to tell you about: there's another cliffhanger ending! I was expecting it this time at least. Not that I'm ok with this because I AM NOT! Now there has to be more waiting and waiting. I just don't understand why there can't be resolution in one book and then picking up with other drama that's hinted at in the next book. I felt just like I did with book one, that I was reading along and things were finally getting really good and then...POW! It was over, and I was left hanging. Again. Oh well. C'est la vie. 

Cover = These covers are simplistic, but they are oh so fantastic! Plus, the spines look great together on the shelf now. I can't wait to see the next one. I adore the world of Oz that Baum created (I've even read most of his original series) and hated what MacGuire did with it so I'm still very happy to read these new adventures. Plus, the MC really does make it all worth it. 

Also I cannot wait to be there at the close with Amy and Dorothy when it finally happens! You should be too. So jump in and find out how Amy handles her mission in Oz.


Check out my review of:

View all my reviews

Comments