Review: Sisters of Blood and Spirit

Author: Kady Cross
Release date: March 31, 2015
Published by: Harlequin Teen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Lark has a secret...her twin sister isn't gone. When her sister Wren died at birth she somehow formed a connection with Lark and the two of them have been together ever since. Sadly this has not made life very easy for Lark ever since she has grown past the age that imaginary friends were supposed to be outgrown. Now she's known as the crazy girl unfortunately who sometimes feels like maybe she's the one who belongs in the land of the dead. When kids at her school start getting sick (including the guy who saved Lark's life when she decided she wanted to be with Wren forever) and have marks from a nasty spirit on them, the girls know that they are the only ones who can help them. But have they bitten off more than they can take on this time? Are they willing to lose everything for these kids?

My thoughts: WHOA!!! This was dark and twisted and WHOA!!! I loved this! I will admit that it was a bit hard to get used to the writing since it's written as if there was a book, or story, that had come before but we aren't given it. We are just being caught up on what has already happened in the beginning of the book in bits and pieces, which was a bit odd at first but you get used to it quickly.

I'm such a HUGE FAN of Cross's Steampunk Chronicles that I was rather nervous about this one for some reason. I am SO glad that I tried it. The concept is so very different from anything that I've read before with the twins who were separated by death at birth but who are still connected. What an incredible concept! AND, what a scary one when they can both see and interact with any spirit who happens to be around whether they are nice or extremely nasty. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be walking down the sidewalk only to see a man hanging dead from a tree, but really a ghost. YIKES! Then you have to also not react because you don't want to freak out the other "regular" folks who might be around. It is really a tangled web of WHOA! 

Final thoughts: I LOVED this one! If you are interested in freaky ghostly stories then THIS is for you! 

View all my reviews

Comments