Review: The Strange Maid by Tessa Gratton

The Strange Maid 
Author: Tessa Gratton
Series: The United States of Asgard, Book 2
Release date: June 10, 2014
Published by: Random House Books for Young Readers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Signy Valborn dared to climb into the highest branches of The New World Tree when she was a young girl just to rage against it about the death of her parents...and who should be there but Odin Alfather himself. He told her that if she could solve his riddle she would become one of his fierce Valkyrie forevermore. Signy trains with all her might from one Valkyrie to another around The United States of Asgard, until she strikes out on her own once again raging against all that she knows because she cannot find the answer to her riddle. Along the way on her journey she meets Ned the Spiritless and even Soren Bearstar who each in their way help her...or she hopes they can because they are on an impossible task to hunt down the mother of all trolls an claim her destiny.

My thoughts: I liked this dark character of Signy so much. I like Soren in the first book, but I got very impatient with him and his Astrid very quickly and felt like I was just dragging myself through it all at times. With this one it wasn't like that at all! I was hooked on Signy's story from the beginning to the very end! And I had to know the ending once I started the book!

The whole system of the Valkyrie and how The United States of Asgard are broken up along with Canadia was so fascinating. It's funny when you're reading this story because Tessa has you so wrapped up in this mythical land that she's created but it's actually taking place in modern times! It's just a great concept!

The thing I truly enjoyed about this book was that I had a really hard time predicting what was going to happen next! I really appreciated that! I was right there with Signy in her journey of discovery. And the ending...WOW! I loved the ending. All of it.

Last thoughts: I really enjoyed this one and hope that whomever the next book is about I like just as much next time! If you like Beowulf in any way you will LOVE this! 

Does anyone know how many there will be of these? Just curious.

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. Very interesting! i hadn't heard of this series yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! These are SO interesting and different!

      Delete

Post a Comment