Review: The Lost Sun by Tessa Gratton

The Lost Sun 
Author: Tessa Gratton
Series: The United States of Asgard, Book 1
Release date: June 25, 2013
Published by: Random House Books for Young Readers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When the God of Light doesn't arise from the ashes on the morning after, all of The United States of Asgard is convinced he's been stolen for some devious purpose. When everyone is looking in a completely different place, Soren Bearskin and Astrid Glyn, are convinced they know just where to find their lost God and can do it all on their own while leaving their parents legacies behind.

My thoughts: This was incredibly complex. Boy did my brain feel like it had to work hard to keep all of these places and people in line. Holy moly! I feel really out of touch with my Norse Mythology after having read this. I'll have to re-read the old stories when I'm done with this next book. To be fair though I haven't read any Norse stories in about 15-20 years!
The characters of Soren and Astrid were both so beautifully broken and strong in different ways. I absolutely thought they were lovely. At times I had a hard time with Astrid, but Soren was just perfection. There were also so many secondary characters that were just plain great, and added SO MUCH to the overall story.
I have to say that I was a bit frustrated by the fact that the story was very predictable, but I still enjoyed the ride. Now I can wait to try book 2!

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I'm not into Mythology books because most of the times I get so confused when there are so many information to take in.. ^_^ But I'm glad you enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment