Review: Insurgent and Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Insurgent 
Author: Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent, Book 2
Release date: May 1, 2012
Published by: HarperTeen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Tris knows that there are consequences for every choice made. When she chose to walk away from her faction and embrace another, she knew that would have consequences. When she and Four took down the simulation that was controlling the Dauntless, she knew that would have consequences. BUT, would she change any of those choices looking back? Doubtful! Every one makes their choices in life, it's how we live with them that matters. The real question is...will the factions be able to recover from what has been done to them? OR, will they tear themselves apart now?

My thoughts: I really liked this rather dark book of what happens after everything you've ever really known has been ripped apart by those we were supposed to be running things and how you just keep moving forward instead...because what else is there?

What was really interesting about this book 2 in a trilogy is that I didn't feel that heavy feeling that I usually get when I finished it. You know the one. The one where you know you've just read a 2nd book in a trilogy which is just dark, dark, dark but it's just setting up the 3rd book which is going to be an upswing. It wasn't that way for me. Unfortunately one thing that did happen is that at some point in the 2nd book I guessed a very major plot point in book 2 & 3 which kind of took the wind out of my sails on the rest of the series. Oh well. C'est la vie. It's very hard to surprise me these days.

View all my reviews


Author: Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent, Book 3
Release date: October 22, 2013
Published by: HarperTeen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Beyond the fence Tris and Tobias are hoping for a new life and leaving the old one of blood and struggles behind. They discover that their comprehension of everything they've ever known once again isn't really what they thought they knew. Will they be able to survive this cataclysmic revelation, or will they self destruct?

My thoughts: For some reason I didn't like this one as much as I did the other two and it doesn't have to do with a major item near the end which you may be thinking of if you've read it. I think it was just that I has figured out most of book 3 ahead of time. Not all of it of course, but a lot of it, and it all just felt so redundant by the time I was on this 3rd book. Don't get me wrong! I'm SO glad I read it and I own it so it's not like I wouldn't spend money on it, because I already did! I was just not that satisfied...maybe it was just that it dragged a lot for me. Huh. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I don't want to give too much away for you, but this one really changes characters. Well, at least the ones who are left! Roth seriously has no problem at all killing off characters which I actually found quite refreshing. Well done Roth! It was just a bit frustrating to deal with at times I guess.

I can't wait to see how they do these in the movies, but I truly hope they do NOT make this last book into 2 movies like I had heard they were thinking about doing. That is such a ridiculous trend!

Anyway, what did you think of this series? I'd love to know!

Comments