Review: This Wicked Game by Michelle Zink

This Wicked Game 
Author: Michelle Zink
Release date: November 14, 2013
Published by: Dial/Penguin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Voodoo...that's right, voodoo. For generations, the Guild has practiced voodoo in secret by running their underground supply houses and warehouses. Claire Kincaid and her family are part of the Guild, running their own little shop where they sell powders, oils, dried flowers, candles, and any number of items you might need for the craft, but she has never ever actually believed in any of this voodoo stuff...until it comes knocking on her door that is! Or, should I say it walks through her door with a key even though she has no idea who they are, and then asks for a banned item! Seriously!? Things get completely out of hand after that, and Claire decides to take matters into her own hands along with some of the other firstborns before their parents get them all killed! Claire Kincaid will not be brushing anything under the carpet...she'll be sweeping it right out the door...

My thoughts: I ate this one up in one day! This was a completely original story for me about voodoo in New Orleans with the "next generation" running the show. I loved it! The parents were still there and involved here and there, but it was definitely NOT the adults who were in charge which for some reason I was completely ok with. One of the first things that really grabbed me was how she and Xander were already IN a strong relationship. I really like this and thought it was very refreshing. I didn't realize that I was sick of stories where the girl falls for someone, but apparently I was.

There were just so many characters in this book that I loved. Zink wrote fantastic characters that I both loved and hated perfectly. I did find myself wanting more here and there throughout the book...as if folks were a bit more shallow then I wanted them to be at times, but then the rest of the time they were fine. I don't know what it was. Maybe it was just me. Or maybe I just was annoyed with Claire's indecisiveness. Who knows!?

Oh how I hope there will be more of these books! More of these characters!

View all my reviews

Comments