Waiting on Wednesday #101 - Control and Dorothy Must Die

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Be sure to post a link to your Waiting on Wednesday below!

This week's pre-publication "We can't wait to read it!" selections are...

Control 
(Control, Book 1)
Author: Lydia Kang
Release Date: December 26, 2013
Published by:Dial Books for Young Readers

When a crash kills their father and leaves them orphaned, Zel knows she needs to protect her sister, Dyl. But before Zel has a plan, Dyl is taken by strangers using bizarre sensory weapons, and Zel finds herself in a safe house for teens who aren't like any she's ever seen before--teens who shouldn't even exist. Using broken-down technology, her new friends' peculiar gifts, and her own grit, Zel must find a way to get her sister back from the kidnappers who think a powerful secret is encoded in Dyl's DNA.
A spiraling, intense, romantic story set in 2150-in a world of automatic cars, nightclubs with auditory ecstasy drugs, and guys with four arms-this is about the human genetic "mistakes" that society wants to forget, and the way that outcasts can turn out to be heroes. (Summary from Goodreads)

I like the idea that these future kids--modified genetically? and now seen as strange outcast--may become the saviors for the future. Cool concept! 


Author: Danielle Paige
Release Date: April 1, 2014
Published by: HarperTeen

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole like gets swept up by a tornado--taking you with it--you have no choice to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've read the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though--but even that's crumbling.
What happened?
Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.
My name is Amy Gumm--and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission:
Remove the Tin Woodman's heart.
Steal the Scarecrow's brain.
Take the Lion's courage.
Then and only then--Dorothy must die! (Summary from Goodreads)

Are you kidding me!? I am SO IN! I LOVE the Oz story no matter the telling of it and I cannot wait to try it again. I hated the book Wicked, but loved the musical of it! I thought the original, old series by Baum was fantastic, but shallow just as all dime novels are. THIS sounds just EPIC! 

What are you waiting on this week?

Comments

  1. Dear God, both books sounds awesome! Excellent picks! Merry Christmas! My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Control sounds really interesting. Dorothy Must Die is definitely different! I hope you enjoy reading both of these.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment