Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King 
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey, Book 1
Release date: February 1, 2010
Published by: Harlequin Teen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Meghan Chase's world is about to change completely. She is about to find out that her entire life has been a lie and begin an adventurous journey that will change her and leave her questioning who she really is down deep. Which half will she choose to follow?

My thoughts: This was a delight to read. I've been saving these and saving these, but I decided that the holiday break was finally the time to read them. This made me think of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series in so many ways!!!

First of all, I really like Meghan. She's just the right combination of tough, but soft while also really picking up quickly on most things in the Nevernever. I get SO frustrated when a character gets dumped, or taken into a world, that they should sort of know how to keep themselves alive. For example, everyone knows you never eat or drink anything in any land of faeries. You also do not make any deals what so ever no matter what with them. I did struggle from time to time with her drama though for some reason. I'm not sure why. Or, perhaps it was just the book in general that felt just a touch off for me. I'm not sure what it was. It was like I was waiting for something, but it never happened.

As for the rest of the characters...they were really well done. From Robin/Puck to Ash to Grim to everyone else in-between. I am a huge fan of Fae books and whenever they're done right I am a happy girl. Plus, the fact that Kagawa took Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and used it as a jumping off point for her brilliant characters. What a cool idea! LOVED IT! Then there is the world of the Nevernever that Kagawa has created for us which we have seen so many, many times in other ways but she has painted it for us here so that it is ever so alive.

Last thought: I'm right on to the next book! I have to know what happens next for Meghan.

View all my reviews

Comments