Libby Bits Review: Schooled

Schooled 
by Gordon Korman
Release date: September 1, 2007
Published by: Disney-Hyperion
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Capricorn Anderson...what can I say about Cap? He is a 13-year-old hippie. He lives in a commune with his grandmother, but one fateful day his grandma falls and breaks her hip. She must stay at the clinic for rehab so Capricorn must go to the local middle school. He has never watched T.V., he has no concept of violence--you know, peace!, he wears tie-dyed clothes and corn husk shoes, and he doesn’t know anything about middle school life. To make his transition even worse, the cool kid at C Average Middle School targets Cap for the 8th grade joke: electing the dweebiest kid as the 8th-grade class president. Craziness ensues :)

I loved Cap and his idealism. Korman really makes this a believable scenario and watching Cap struggle with the cultural differences and yet stay true to himself makes for a heartwarming story. If you love short and sweet stories, this one is for you.

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I remember reading this one when I was younger and loving it so much! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm thinking I might cry here. I'm a middle school teacher and those aged kids can be cruel. Great review.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment