Meeting Robin LaFevers!

Last Sunday, Heidi, of YA Bibliophile, and I headed out on the road to the very fine town of Naperville, IL, from our little rural WI digs near each other. We met up with the ever adorable Tara, of FictionFolio, and Anna, of AnnaReads for lunch! Then on to the ever fantastic Anderson's Bookshop in Downtown Naperville! If you've never been and you live anywhere nearby, you've got to stop by! You can always find signed books and a fabulous list of upcoming author visits!
Robin was one of the best speakers I've seen at Anderson's! She told us all about how she first came up with the idea to create the world that Ismae, and now Sybella, inhabits in the His Fair Assassins Series from wanting to write about the Middle Ages, to wanting to empower women especially, to wanting to write about the tiny young Queen who's left in charge of France at twelve when her father passes away after having promised her hand in marriage to man after man in return for troops and other favors leaving so very many angry suiters to descend on her kingdom to claim her hand...so of course she'll need some assassin nuns to keep her safe! 
Plus, she explained how so much of the world in the His Fair Assassins Series is based in Celtic Mythology and Brittany legends which I had noticed, but apparently I am more rusty on my heritage/education than I had realized and seriously need to reread those mythology texts again on my shelves because I missed a bunch of it. I knew I loved it, but just enjoyed it for the love of it. Next time I read it, I'll be looking for the mythos in it!

Some Q&A from the signing that people asked Robin...

Q: Have you traveled to the places in Grave Mercy and ? 
A: Only on Google! But you would be amazed at what you can do and see on Google. 

Q: What does she recommend for writers?
A: The book, Save the Cat. I also write by hand, except for the action scenes, those have to be typed because they are just too fast to write out by hand. She also uses both colored pens and colored index cards to keep track of characters. 

Q: Are you going to write YA or MG next?
A: I don't know yet. I left off both of my MG series as cliffhangers which wasn't very nice, but I'm also going to finish this series too. This last book isn't going to come out until Fall of 2014 though, I just have to have so much more time to really wrap up everything perfectly with Anna's story.

Q: What do you like to read?
A: Historical fiction! Seraphina was great! 






Grave Mercy 
Author: R.L. LaFevers
Series: His Fair Assassin Release Date: April 3, 2012
Published by: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?"

I know this book is thick, but is was my FAVORITE READ OF 2012 out of everything I read!! That's a big deal for me! Try it! It's AMAZING AND KICK-BUTT! 

Check out my review HERE! 





Author: R.L. LaFevers
Series: His Fair Assassin 

Release Date: April 2, 2013
Published by: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

"Vengence is devine"

Review soon to come! :)











My pretties...

And now they're signed! :)


As usual, Anderson's Bookshop did a great job and I can't wait to drive all they way back down there again in May! I'm hoping to go see Lauren Oliver and Holly Black in the same week! We'll see! That'll be a very big and rather expensive driving week if I do that! 
To learn more about this fabulous author, Robin LaFevers, also known as R.L. LaFevers, go to...

Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Website  

Plus, check out this fabulous site for her His Fair Assassin Series...


Robin and I


Have you been to any signings lately? For who? Tell me about it! Link it up!

Comments