Waiting on Wednesday #39 - Meant to Be and Black City

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Be sure to post a link to your Waiting on Wednesday below!

This week's pre-publication "We can't wait to read it!" selections are...

Author: Lauren Morrill
Release Date: November 13, 2012
Published by: Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Meant to be or not meant to be...that is the question.
It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the-gasp-wrong guy. Straight "A" Junior, Julia, may be accident prone, but she's queen of following the rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").
But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts...from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wold goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.
Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be. (Summary from Goodreads)

What a beautiful, colorful cover! It sounds like a romantic comedy with a main character a dork like me could connect to. 


(Black City, Book 1)
Release Date: November 13, 2012
Published by: G. P. Putnam's Sons BYR

A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war.
In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable--they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash's long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they're caught, they'll be executed--but their feelings are too strong.
When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths. (Summary from Goodreads)

Doesn't this sound delicious!? I picture winter break, on my couch in front of the fireplace with snow falling outside while I read this one. And that cover is BEAUTIFUL! Just beautiful!

What are you waiting on this week?

Comments

  1. I am dying to read these 2 books especially Black City !!! I need to pre-order a copies of both of them !! Fabulous picks girls ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant To Be looks like such a cute and fun read to brighten my day! I just got Black City and I am sooooo excited! Darklings and forbidden love!
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG so want Black City. Great pick. And btw, Splintered is AWESOME!!!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these covers and blurbs! Enjoy...and thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both sound like great picks! Love your WOW graphic. Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so happy when I found just the right image I had in my head for it and put the lettering over the top!

      Delete
  6. humm these two look great. i think i would like black city more. looks awesome.
    my "Waiting on Wednesday"
    great post!
    Katie @ Inkk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meant to Be sounds excellent, and Black City was simply amazing. Great picks! Two great releases for 2012!
    Em @ A Beautiful Madness
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not usually my thing, but I just might have to venture into Contemporary YA for a book that uses the word "defenestrated." :)
    New GFC follower!
    Here's My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have both book on my to-read list and would love to read them both. They sound pretty great! Great picks!
    Come check out my WOW post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment