Review: Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Peter Pan, 100th Anniversary Edition
Author: J.M. Barrie
Release date: 2003, originally released 1911
Published by: Henry Holt and Co.
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Neverland, pirates, faires, lost boys and more...follow Peter Pan as he leads the Darling children on the adventure of their lifetimes.

My thoughts: I read this to my girls (age 7 and 5) about a half a chapter a night so it took us forever, but having them hear the "older" language with some incredible vocabulary they've never heard before was very cool. Every once in a while they'd ask about a word, but otherwise they were happy to just listen.
We also talked a lot about how different parts were similar and also different from the Disney movie, which is what they've seen the most. Our high school musical last year was Peter Pan as well, so we also compared and contrasted it to the musical that the students did. The girls decided that the book is much more similar to that musical they saw my students do than the Disney movie which they decided is very different from this original.
All in all, we really like this classic version with it's old illustrations and language. I wonder which classic they'll choose next to mix in a bedtime!
View all my reviews

Comments