Review: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy 
Author: Richelle Mead
Release date: August 16, 2007
Published by: Razorbill 
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


When Rose and Lissa reluctantly return to St. Vladimir's Academy, they're not the same anymore. They are no longer interested in parties, shopping and being at the top of the social ladder. Now they are focused on staying out of the limelight. The more invisible, the better. They both have secrets that need to stay secrets no matter what, their lives depend on it. They've been on the run for two years, and being back in the very center of the very place where they are most in danger begins to take its toll on them both...


My thoughts: This was fun! It was a nice, fun, fly-through-it book of teen angst, friendship and intrigue. I liked the academy setting and enjoyed becoming part of it through Rose's eyes as she tells their story. Their bond is incredible and makes you think of that one relationship that you have with one other female that's just deeply incredible. Sure, you can have lots of guy friends and girl friends, but there's always that one girl friend (if you're lucky) who you'd literally do anything for. Maybe it's your sister, or a cousin, but she's still the best friend you've ever had. The world of Royals, Moroi, Strigoi, and Dhampir that Mead introduces us to in this first book int he series is nicely done. I struggled in the very first chapters just getting everything straight in my head, but once that was all settled in my mind I could settle in for the story to unfold. I liked that there was teen drama, but not so much teen drama that I was rolling my eyes over it. All in all a nice fun read and now I'm on to the 2nd book!

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. Every single time I see the cover of this book, I think of Angelina Jolie.

    I haven't started this series yet, but I've always wanted to read Mead's writing...although I am not a big vampire fan (so I guess that's what's holding me back).

    Honestly, I thought this book was about lesbian relationships when I read those first few sentences...

    Thank you for your review, and HAPPY READING~
    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there is a bit of tension in their "relationship" where Rose does get jealous of Lissa's relationships with others. They certainly aren't lesbians but they do struggle with their relationship a lot.

      Delete
  2. Yay I'm glad that you enjoyed this. This whole series is pretty awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to fly right through the whole series this week. I'm already close to being done with book 2. :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this book and the second book too! I really need to grab the third book because I want to read it so bad =)

    ~Paige @ Comfort Books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment