Top 10 Tuesday #3- Book club books...

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish! Leave a link to your Top 10 in the comments!

Top 10 books I think would make great book club books:
  1. Delirium by Lauren Oliver- such an interesting topic to talk about. The big issue? Our emotions, aka love. Remove it and you will have a perfect society! Right?
  2. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld- this is one that makes me wish I was still in the English classroom instead of the library! I would LOVE to teach this one with a whole class. There is just so much potential here for advancements, for the equality their society has embraced as their main focus by making everyone "pretty", the environmental issues, so, so many topics to talk about that people could easily be on either side of!
  3. Age of Innocence  by Edith Wharton- We actually did read this one in our book club. Many of us had read Ethan Frome back in our hs days, but when a very well done and fascinating biography, The Brave Escape of Edith Wharton by Connie Wooldridge, arrived at my MHS LMC from JLG we were instantly interested in anything she wrote. This is the book Wharton was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1921 and also a book which was incredibly scandalous for the upper crust of which she was a big part of!
  4. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot- this was another we did read in our book club recently. Created tons of discussion about the past and how both non-whites and the poor were taken advantage of by those who they trusted the most, their doctors. It also had us talking about life now and how there are still things that we don't challenge doctors about. Fascinating read of a story none of us had ever heard before.
  5. Flight by Sherman Alexie- So much history to talk about in here, plus so much about the main character, Zits, to talk about. Rachel and I do a collaborative unit with her Multicultural Lit. class and when I book talk this one, the guys POUNCE on it! (The boys who never read!) And then, they finish it so fast it's unreal! And then, they pass it to another in class who will tell me, "I never read Mrs. Schmelzer, but that was an awesome book!"
  6. Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern- this one is Rachel's and is still on my TBR list. She has been gushing about it ever since she read it! The magical world that Morgenstern created is supposed to be phenomenal and unbelievable all at the same time!
  7. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson- the drama, the intrigue, the violence against women, the government cover-ups...how could you not have discussion from this one!? This was another our book club did read last year and most liked. (Not Rachel.)
  8. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly- this story was incredible! Our book club loved it! The real world and the historical world of Paris and it's revolutionary past become so painfully real for you. I remember wanting so desperately to be able to read faster. It all begins with a tiny heart in a jar.
  9. Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis- I have always thought these would make great discussion pieces to connect with the Christian religion to compare and contrast with the Bible. C.S. Lewis wanted to write stories that his own niece would enjoy but also learn the Bible stories. I find myself trying to figure out who is who every time I read them!
  10. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne- The tech. in this book is amazing. I can't believe this was written in 1870! Plus, the adventure is non-stop from beginning to end.
These would certainly get me to book club! The ones our group has been choosing haven't even been able to get me there let along getting me to read them! These would! Of course, Rachel disagrees with me completely and for example loved #3 which was one of the ones from our book club we both belong to. I couldn't even start that one sadly. Anyway, here are ours! What would yours be? Put it in the comments!

Comments

  1. Awesome club suggestions. I can't believe that I still haven't read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Must read.

    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews
    My Top Ten...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either, but I do have advice on that one...you HAVE to read at least 100 pages before you give up! For some reason it's a really hard one to get into, but then it won't let go of you until the end of the 3rd book! Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is a great choice! I really like your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to so many of the above! I wouldn't have thought of Revolution, but you're right -- I think my book club would enjoy that one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had great discussion about it and Rachel had been to Paris and toured the underground so she could share all these great things about it too! It's a favorite! The research that had to have been involved must have been EPIC!!

      Delete
  4. New follower! Delirium is a favorite of mine! Here is my list if you'd like to follow back: http://www.theonceandfuturelibrarian.blogspot.com/2012/01/top-ten-tuesday-book-club-selections.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment