Review: White Cat by Holly Black

White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)White Cat
Author: Holly Black
From: Library
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Curse-workers exist. They are all around us at every moment. This explains why everyone wears gloves all the time; one touch could kill you or make you a killer! It's illegal now to work someone, but that just means curse-workers have moved into the black market where crime bosses hold all the cards! Cassel is from a family of curse-workers. The problem? Cassel is the only dud who can't curse! He's as harmless as a butterfly!

Oh, except for when he was found standing over his best friend Lila's body holding a knife dripping with her blood and smiling with delight.

Black has truly created a world we've not seen before. X-men bigotry & legislation in America + harry potter drama & twists + teenagers & their families = a fabulous recipe for entertainment! Here's where I run into trouble though...for some reason I guessed almost the entire book of twists and turns from the very beginning! :( I hate it when that happens! I still want to know what happens next so I will certainly be reading Red Glove & hoping that it's very unpredictable. I will be recommending this to my students who have gone through the "regular" supernatural books already.

**UPDATE: this series has new paperback covers!! They are tres jolie! Check them out!

View all my reviews

Comments